Name: Walter J. Ruzzo
Role: Past Chair, Board of Directors
Term Expires: March 31, 2016
Walter is an Environment, Health, Safety and Security (EHSS) professional with 35 years’ experience in private industry. After graduating from the Natural Resources Management Department at California State Polytechnic University at San Luis Obispo, Walter did graduate study at Colorado State University. He then joined the world’s largest mining company where he worked for 20 years and was involved with diverse projects on 6 continents including:
- Providing EHS internal consulting and support services for large-scale mining and infrastructure projects, and
- Implementing and auditing EHS Management Systems at over 60 sites worldwide.
Walter spent 13 years as an EHS professional in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry with two multi-national companies. During that time, he has:
- Implemented programs to minimize exposure of the workforce to potent drug compounds in development, and
- Coordinated the company’s global sustainability program in the areas of CO2 emissions, energy use, water use and waste generation.
For the past 3 years, Walter has served as the Director of Security for Gilead Sciences, Inc. in Foster City. He is responsible for all aspects of physical security for the company worldwide including at the company headquarters and research and development center in Foster City, CA. Walter oversees the site’s Emergency Response, Medical Emergency Respons Programs and serves as Facilities Department liaison on Crisis Management, Business Continuity and Pandemic Response Teams.
Walter currently serves as follows:
- Board of Directors, Foster City Chamber of Commerce, and
- Natural Resources Management Department Advisory Council for California State Polytechnic University at San Luis Obispo.
Walter lives with his wife of 37 years Teresa, an artist and his high school sweetheart, in Mountain View. He is a dedicated year-round vegetable gardener, a passionate and eclectic reader, an avid walker and hiker and an experienced world traveler.